Job ID: 1800003633
This role is one of a group of four accounting policy professionals that supports Synchrony Financial’ s accounting, reporting and controllership activities. The Accounting Policy team provides research and analysis to evaluate actual and proposed transactions, US GAAP and regulatory technical and reporting issues, and policy implementation, to ensure compliance with applicable accounting rules, regulations and procedures and Company policies. Each team member is responsible for specific areas of technical accounting research and will be a subject matter expert on specific accounting policies or company technical issues while maintaining a generalist mindset to support the company’s various initiatives. Accounting policy VPs have regular interaction with the SVP of Accounting Policy, the Chief Accounting Officer and other senior leaders of Synchrony Financial within Finance, FP&A, Risk, Compliance and Treasury. The accounting policy team also has responsibility for performing reviews of regulatory reporting filings once prepared and reviewed within the regulatory reporting team or other functional area (bank CALL report, Y‐9C, Y‐9LP, Y‐11).
- Provides technical accounting guidance for Synchrony Financial including support for front‐end business development activities, financing and related transactions, acquisitions, dispositions and deal structuring
- Assist in provide guidance to the Business Integration and Finance teams on how acquisition/disposition transactions will be operationalized/recorded
- Provides advice and interpretation with respect to matters of accounting, disclosure and other financial considerations to operations and accounting personnel across Synchrony Financial
- Assist in monitoring external accounting and regulatory/SEC developments that potentially impact Synchrony’s financial reporting
- Develops and maintains consistency across accounting policies and procedures
- Ensures compliance with US GAAP/Synchrony accounting policies and applicable laws and regulations
- Assist in implementing new accounting standards
- Assist in review of quarterly and annual SEC and regulatory filings, including management review meetings and supplemental financial reporting schedules
- Assist in simplification efforts of the business
- Works independently, but with guidance from more senior members of the team and the SVP, Accounting Policy, on complex areas
- Applies a broad perspective to assist in solving complex problems
- Perform other duties and/or special projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- Minimum 7 years combined public and corporate technical accounting/policy experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience in public accounting
- SEC reporting experience
- CPA Certification
- Accounting policy/technical accounting advisory experience
- Ability to research and analyze relevant facts and formulate technical accounting positions, considering GAAP, SEC and regulatory guidance, industry practices, etc.
- Experience as a senior manager in a large public accounting firm with responsibilities that include US GAAP/SEC accounting research
- Combination of public and corporate accounting experience with a focus on research and application of accounting policy matters
- Credit Card or other financial services industry experience
- Experience proactively identify root causes of reconciling items and process breakdowns and in implementing procedures to minimize/eliminate re-occurrences and simplification
- Ability to interact at various levels within an organization and manage multiple priorities
- Analytical skills, ability to influence colleagues and facilitate meetings
- Highly articulate and confident presenter and communicator (oral and written)
- Efficient/effective organizational and communication skills fostering an open environment
- Experience with senior management interaction
- Demonstrated experience influencing and communicating at all levels across the business
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office (eg. Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- You must be 18 years or older
- You must have a high school diploma or equivalent
- You must be willing to take a drug test, submit to a background investigation and submit fingerprints as part of the selection process
- You must be able to satisfy the requirements of Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
- Effective 1-1-18, new hires (Level 4-7) must have 9 months of continuous service with the company before they are eligible to post on other roles. Once this new hire time in position requirement is met, the associate will have a minimum 6 months’ time in position before they can post for future non-exempt roles. Employees, level 8 or greater, must have at least 24 months’ time in position before they can post. All internal employees must have at least a “consistently meets expectations” performance rating and have approval from your manager to post (or the approval of your manager and HR if you don’t meet the time in position or performance requirement).
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice:
- Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
- If you need special accommodations, please call our Career Support Line so that we can discuss your specific situation. We can be reached at 1-866-301-5627. Representatives are available from 8am – 5pm Monday to Friday, Central Standard Time.
The salary range for this position is 85,000.00 – 170,000.00 USD Annual
Salaries are adjusted according to market in CA and Metro NY and some positions are bonus eligible.