Job ID: 1900002747
This role is responsible for loan accounting and allowance for loan losses within Synchrony Financial’s general accounting activities. This includes loan reconciliations, loan balancing, loan suspense clearing, accounting for balance transfers, charge back, etc. It also includes working on new products and acquisitions related to loans including the setting up of new loans and integrating them into SYF systems. In this role, you will gain accounting, regulatory, reporting, project management and financial close experience.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Loans and Allowance for loan loss accounting responsibilities include:
- Review daily balancing related to loans, research any discrepancies and record journal entries as needed for loans on several different platforms
- Review monthly reconciliations for loans and allowance for loan loss
- Liaise with Settlement and Cash accounting to try to resolve any cross department issues
- Review and approve monthly Credit Balance Account MJE’s
- Perform and oversee interim accounting for purchased portfolios including entries and wires, monthly reconciliation, monthly consolidated reports, etc.
- Prepare monthly accruals and quarterly actuals for Sales Tax Recoveries
- Oversee booking of debt cancellation JEs and tie out, research and resolve any issues
- Allowance for Loan losses – Review and approve monthly entries, review monthly reconciliation, validate/perform month end check
- Review and approve monthly Fraud reserve journal entries, review monthly reconciliation, validate/perform month end check
- Record quarterly TDR entries for US and CAD, maintain tie out file for TDR balancing, review quarterly reconciliation
- Record quarterly legal entity allowance adequacy entry and maintain tie out file for LE entries
- Review daily balancing for balance transfers and chargebacks performed by offshore team and provide support and guidance
- Research and help operations resolve any outstanding items related to balance transfers and chargebacks
- Review daily balancing related to promotional financing offers and record entries monthly to reclass any out of balances
- Review and approve on monthly reconciliations and settlement statements and review and approve daily wires related to installment loan portfolio
- Assist with other general accounting projects and tasks as needed
- Perform other duties and/or special projects as assigned
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or in lieu of degree, 10 years equivalent experience.
- 5 years of accounting/finance experience
- Certified Public Accountant a plus
- Demonstrated leadership with the ability to successfully manage multiple priorities in a high-speed, quickly changing business environment
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong communication skills (oral & written)
- Strong organizational/self-motivation skills
- Strong background in accounting practices and procedures
- Process/quality improvement experience – develop and implement new processes, improve existing processes
- Strong Microsoft Office skills
- Strong project management skills
- Proven ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Experience working in a fast-paced, changing environment
- You must be 18 years or older
- You must have a high school diploma or equivalent
- You must be willing to take a drug test, submit to a background investigation and submit fingerprints as part of the onboarding process
- You must be able to satisfy the requirements of Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
- New hires (Level 4-7) must have 9 months of continuous service with the company before they are eligible to post on other roles. Once this new hire time in position requirement is met, the associate will have a minimum 6 months’ time in position before they can post for future non-exempt roles. Employees, level 8 or greater, must have at least 24 months’ time in position before they can post. All internal employees must have at least a “consistently meets expectations” performance rating and have approval from your manager to post (or the approval of your manager and HR if you don’t meet the time in position or performance requirement).
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice:
- Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
- If you need special accommodations, please call our Career Support Line so that we can discuss your specific situation. We can be reached at 1-866-301-5627. Representatives are available from 8am – 5pm Monday to Friday, Central Standard Time.
The salary range for this position is 70,000.00 – 150,000.00 USD Annual
Salaries are adjusted according to market in CA and Metro NY and some positions are bonus eligible.